Saturday, August 3, 2013

Toddler-Friendly Veggie and Fruit Smoothie


Ladies and Gentlemen, allow me to introduce you to Ashlin, my darling first born; the first little person to call me "mama." She's silly, charming, smart and sweet. And... she loves French fries. Upon turning two, my once good eater decided that she hates anything green, healthy, and not cut up into a stick and deep fried. Lately, I've been at a bit of a loss. 


But then, I found the solution! Enter kefir yogurt. This magical stuff is basically a drinkable yogurt that's been around since the cavemen and is full of 12 different live and active cultures that all add up to a healthy digestive and immune system. Seriously,  kefir actually means "good feeling" in Turkish, and they mean it! It's actually really delicious too. I discovered it when I realized that having two kids under two didn't exactly lend itself to my eating breakfast. And ( drumroll please!) Ashlin likes it too! 
 
So, in addition to some yummy strawberry kefir, I grabbed a bag of precut, ready-to-steam butternut 
squash (because I'm lazy), and gave it a quick nuke in the microwave. I thought about adding in another type of vegetable- maybe kale?- but I thought since this was my first go that I'd try something mildly sweet, so squash it was.

To the cooked butternut squash I added a few strawberries and blueberries I had in the fridge since I wanted to pack this puppy full of as much fiber and antioxidants as I could. And though kefir is super tasty, it's a bit on the tart side, so the berries are going to help mask that. All in all, it came out to be about 1/4 cup of each fruit and the squash, and about 1/2 cup of kefir. 


Dump it all into your handy-dandy blender...

 

Pour into sippy cup...


And sit back and try not to act too excited when she drinks it!!

Click Here to See Where I'm Linking Up!

No comments:

Post a Comment